Born in 1947, Dr Moran excelled at school and went on to study medicine at The University of Melbourne in 1963. From 1970-1975 she worked at St Vincent’s Hospital where she rose to the positions of Chief Registrar and Rheumatology Registrar.
She then moved to the United Kingdom where she practiced adult and paediatric rheumatology at the Medical Research Council Rheumatism Unit at the Canadian Red Cross Hospital, Taplow. Dr Moran also worked as a research fellow at Taplow, Northwick Park and at the Hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street.
On her return to Melbourne, Dr Moran worked at St Vincent’s Hospital as a senior lecturer, assistant physician to out-patients and assistant rheumatologist. In 1982 her interest in children led to a position as Consultant Physician at The Royal Children’s Hospital. She also established a practice at The Royal Melbourne Hospital where she worked until she passed away in 2007.
Dr Moran was actively involved in research projects throughout her career, generally undertaken pro-bono and in her own time. She was highly regarded for her involvement in a study of chondrocalcinosis in the elderly and her participation in the development of clinical pathways for patients with osteoarthritis.
Dr Moran served a term as president for the Victorian branch of the Australian Rheumatology Association (ARA) and maintained an ongoing role with the association in various capacities. She was also on the federal council of the ARA.
Her patients remember her as a caring and dedicated doctor who would see them at her busy practice in East Melbourne and Moonee Ponds or on her regular visits to Mildura. Her colleagues admired and respected her, and all appreciated her skills, enthusiasm and her warmth.